Why to obtain IEC
Import Export Code Registration
Import Export Code (IEC) is required by a person who wants to import into and export goods from India. IEC is a 10 digit code issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), Government of India, having lifetime validity.
Import Export Code is required when importers have to clear the shipments from the customs and/or when they have to send the money abroad via banks. IEC is required by the exporters while sending the shipments and/ or while receiving money from abroad.
Process to Register
- Preparing IE Code Application in the prescribed format along with the required documents and signature of the applicant.
- Submission of the application to DGFT for further processing and allotment of the code.
- Upon verification by the DGFT, IE code is allotted for the business.
- Identity and Business Proof- PAN Card & Aadhaar Card, Passport, Driving License, Ration Card, Voter ID is required for promoters or authorised person with passport size photograph.
- Partnership Deed, Certificate of Incorporation, Registration Certificate is required in case of Business entities.
- Business Address Proof- Sale Deed or rental agreement/ lease deed AND a copy of the electricity bill or telephone bill.
- Cancelled cheque or Bank certificate as per DGFT format having name of the applicant and account number, pre-printed.
Frequently Asked Questions
IE Code stands for Importer Exporter Code, required by the person import in and exporting goods.
IE Code is required at the custom clearing centres while importing and exporting goods. It is also required by the RBI to mention IEC in case of foreign remittances in bank account.
IE code is generally not required in case of service, it is required in case of specified service or technology only. IEC number is required in case you want to avail the benefit under Foreign Trade Policy. If import or export is made for the personal use or made by the government department, then no IEC is required.
After submission of all the required documents and filing up the application, IEC can be obtained from DGFT in 10-20 working days.
There is no penalty prescribed for not having IEC, as it is not mandatory to have IEC. In simple words, Import and Export will not be possible in absence of IE code.
By logging into the IEC portal one can download the certificate anytime if he has applied through the e-IEC online. But if registered via physical process, you have to re-apply for e-IEC and the certificate will be provided to you by DGFT.
With the payment of fees again, one can modify the details by submitting application with all the required documents to the DGFT once again.
Persons exporting or importing for use other than business use; Ministries or Central Government departments doesn’t require obtention of IEC; Persons exporting/ importing a single assignment of value not exceeding Rs. 25,000/- through or from Nepal / Myanmar via Indo-Myanmar Border areas, are not required to obtain the IE Code.
Packages on Offering
- Importer Exporter Code Registration without DSC Inclusive of Government Fees & GST.
- Importer Exporter Code Registration with DSC Inclusive of Government Fees & GST.
- Importer Exporter Code Registration, Digital Signature Certificate Inclusive of Government Fees & GST.